The photo of the cake isn't amazing since I took it last night and only had my phone to hand, but hopefully it will give you an idea of what it looks like (or is meant to look like). I used the recipe from the good old BBC, you can check it out here, but I'm also sharing their recipe right now.....
Easy Chocolate Cake
(Originally from BBC Food)
For the cake:
225g/8oz plain flour
350g/12½oz caster sugar
85g/3oz cocoa powder
1½ tsp baking powder
1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 free-range eggs
250ml/9fl oz milk
125ml/4½fl oz vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
250ml/9fl oz boiling water
For the chocolate ganache icing:
200g/7oz plain chocolate
200ml/7fl oz double cream
- Make the chocolate ganache before baking the cake - this gives you time for it to cool. To to this warm the chocolate into the cream on a low heat. Once melted, remove from heat and whisk until smooth and shiny. Leave to cool for about an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 180c/350f/gas 4
- Add all of the cake ingredients, bar the boiling water, to a bowl and whisk until smooth
- Gradually add the boiling water to the mixture, whisking/stirring gently as you go
- Pop into two sandwich tins and bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes or until skewer comes out clean
- Remove cakes from tin and cool
- Add the ganache to the top of one of the cakes, and place the other on top. Then cover the top and sides with the ganache.
- Eat and enjoy!