I recently attended a vegan cookery class at Brighton Cookery School (full review coming soon) where we got to make a DELICIOUS vegan curry. The curry is Goan style, and you can make it as spicy as you want. It is packed full of nutrients as it is made with sweet potato, yellow split peas, and tomatoes – 3 of my favourite things!
The recipe can easily feed 3, with extra helpings, and I recommend that it’s served with basmati rice, bombay aloo, and poori – yum!
Vegan Goan Curry Recipe
4 tbsp tikka curry paste
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp white wine vinegar (you can also use white vinegar)
2 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
2 tbsp curry leaves
2 onions – chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
150ml vegetable stock
100g sweet potato – peeled & chopped
100g cooked yellow split peas
100g creamed coconut
28g fresh coriander – roughly chopped
- Combine the curry paste, cumin and vinegar in a large bowl to make a thick paste.
- Add the sweet potato and split peas, turn to coat in the spice mix and leave to marinade for 15-30 minutes
- Warm 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over a high heat and fry the mustard seeds and curry leaves for 30 seconds until the seeds start to pop. Tip onto a plate for later
- Add the remaining oil and the onions to the pan and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato mixture including all the marinade, reduce the heat to low and cook, turning occasionally.
- After 5 minutes add the tomatoes, stock, creamed coconut, reserved curry leaves and mustard seeds, and two-thirds of the coriander.
- Bring to a gentle simmer over a low heat. Cook, uncovered, for 40 minutes minimum (or longer if you prefer your split peas to be softer, like I do)
- Spoon into shallow bowls, scatter with the remaining coriander and serve with warmed naan bread and basmati rice.
What’s your favourite curry? Let me know in the comments!
Disclaimer: The class this recipe is taken from was kindly gifted to me by Brighton Cookery School but all words and opinions are my own.
Pin for later:
One thought on “Vegan Goan Curry Recipe”
This curry is such a healthy but tasty recipe, it would make a great vegan takeaway menu item! Thanks for sharing it.